Welcome to the website of the Newry & Portadown branch of the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland (IWAI). We have the longterm ambition of restoring the Newry canal and once again joining Carlingford Lough with Lough Neagh. The branch has already begun to conserve and restore the waterway with our regular work parties. Volunteers have been removing trees and vegetation from the lock chambers so that the still impressive craftsmanship and architecture can be better appreciated by the public. In 2015 we manufactured and installed two sets of lock gates at Poyntzpass and near Scarva. We have lobbied locally and nationally to have restoration of the canal placed on the political agenda. The branch has successfully applied for funding for projects to increase public awareness of the canal and to encourage the various waterside communities to become part of our cause.
Our future plans are to continue to lobby and campaign; to fund raise and apply for grants; to maintain and conserve the architecture and industrial heritage of the canal and to continue our voluntary groundwork. We are also lobbying for Waterways Ireland to take over the Newry to Portadown Canal as being the best way to have the canal re-opened
Our Facebook recent posts
It is with much sadness that the branch learned of the death of our long term member Vincent Evans RIP. He was a dedicated supporter of canal restoration and IWAI activities. Vincent attended our very first workparty in 2009 and brought his grandson Declan. In later years son in law Maurice was also roped in to lend a hand. During his last illnesses Vincent still kept in touch with the branch and followed our activities closely lending moral support and taking pride in our achievements.We will miss his quiet politeness and gentle wit.
Autumnal boating activity on the canal at Terryhoogan today.
Some lovely photos of Moody’s Lock. Share if you like them. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1508420705907762&id=229430630473449
Hidden in the landscape within a mile of the canal is the amazing Lissummon Railway Tunnel. Built in 1864 and finally abandoned in 1957 it was a triumph of engineering in its day.
Heritage Open Days 9-10 September. Visit Moneypenny’s Lockhouse and Bee Garden. A beautiful set of buildings dating to early 1800s. The gable end of the Lockhouse includes a display of how the Moneypenny family might have lived. Explore the Bee Garden lovingly restored and maintained by IWAI, Newry and Portadown Branch volunteers. Saturday and Sunday 13.00- 1700. A 2 mile walk, along the river, from Portadown or via Horse Shoe Lane about 500 metres.